My rule of thumb these days is; if a place could not survive more than 3 months with a sudden cessation of tourism – its not for me.
The places I keep going back to are;
- Thailand – increasingly to the smaller places that follow the Mekong river
- Nakhon Phanom is my current favourite
- Malaysia – KL is nice but there is a lot more to see on peninsular Malaysia
- Makassar – as a place, rather than being part of Indonesia.
- Sadly, Indonesia seems to be on a path to increasing religious conservatism and intolerance of Western values and aspirations.